Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 1-Beginings

First day of blog. I am basically writing this as a way to keep myself in check and stay on track with my goals.  I really should have started this last year at this time as I had started on a change in lifestyle.  I started to workout, run and diet to lose weight. I started off slow and worked into it so that I would not just burnout. I was mainly running in the morning before work and then during lunch.

 I, like most people have struggled with weight my entire life, always trying something different or pills that I knew would not work, so I started reading any information I could on the different diets . I finally came upon the Paleo/Caveman diet, I liked what I read, it made sense to me, it was not a magic elixir or pill, it was actually pretty basic so I switched over to a Paleo diet, which for those that don't know is a complete lifestyle change, it is a very natural way to eat, it is how we ate before we started over processing everything  it is a diet consisting of any kind of animal protein/fat, eggs, vegetables, fruit and true nuts. So that means no dairy, legumes (i.e. beans, peanuts, soy.)  no grains of any kind (i.e. wheat, corn, rice.).  Nothing that comes in a box or through a drive-thru. Only fresh foods, best if locally sourced, organic if possible and as minimally processed as possible. There are a lot of reasons to switch to a diet like this, mine was to lose weight and to get healthy. There is actually a few really good books on the subject the first being
The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat by Loren Cordain
and
 The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf
both breakdown the reasons why you would want to make the switch and how you go about it, as well as some of the science behind what we are eating. There are also a lot of good cookbooks out there that can help you transition.

Anyway, I started and I started feeling better almost immediately I stuck to it about 80% of the time which is what is recommended it is pretty difficult if you have little to no will power with food like I do,  I mean I have been a cook most of my life I Love Food. However, I needed to change (insert  insanity quote) so I did.

I ended up losing 70 lbs altogether which is huge.  It took all year but was worth it. It set a goal of running a full marathon and I did that back in Dec..  Now I just have to keep at it.

3 comments:

  1. One day - Maybe 2014 - I'd like to attempt a Half Marathon.
    Maybe like the Las Vegas Color Run... something fun with no pressure.

    I want to hit 220 1st (23 more pounds to go) and then I want to really work on cardio to build up my lung strength so that I can feel comfortable giving a half marathon an attempt.

    Congrats on where you are currently as I know you have come a long way from the start. I could never change the way I eat as dramatically as you have but to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will get there, it does take time. You can get race ready in less than 6 months. The more time you dedicate the better off you'll be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will get there, it does take time. You can get race ready in less than 6 months. The more time you dedicate the better off you'll be.

    ReplyDelete